Thursday, March 13, 2008

Oriental Rug Market Los Angeles and Tax Season, Shaw Area Rugs

During the past few days, our rug business has been relatively slow and quiet. It might be because of the tax season. On the other hand, oil price has hit the $110/barrel and this has set the record and the price of gas at almost $4/gallon reduces the purchasing power of the people. These and other economic reasons and variables make people want to spend less. All this will affect the rug market weather it is area rug or hand knotted rug. People have less money and want spend less.

Of course the rug market has not been totally dead. We have sold a few pieces and were busy with cleaning and repair. But it has not been great. During the past couple of days, I have been busy working on my business tax and I have to submit all the numbers and documents to my CPA by tomorrow around noon.

Yesterday, I had an appointment with a representative of Shaw Floors and Shaw Living. She had visited me in our rug gallery and had shown me few samples. I wanted to see more samples so we met at 9:00 am in a showroom on the 5th floor in Los Angeles Mart, LA Mart. The showroom was big, but full of accessories and everything was visible but area rugs. I went inside and asked for the sales rep. and she showed up in a minute and guided me to the back of the showroom where they had only few pieces on few racks. Frankly I had expected a huge showroom full of racks and rugs. The variety did not look great to me. The prices also seemed expensive. In addition to the already high prices, there will be shipping costs added to the prices which will make it difficult to complete. I have to thing about this and I may want to go ahead and order a small shipment but I have to see.

It is 6:30 pm and I have to go home. I leave the writing for another time probably tomorrow.

Khosrow Sobhe
www.RugIdea.com
310-770-9085

No comments: